Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Yellows, oranges and a bit of brown

With a lot of Kaffe Fassett fabrics and wovens, I started this top.

2011_1031blog-photos0026

 

I had never worked with his fabric collection before, but somehow when I decided to start buying them, my choice was orange and yellow tones. What I realized when I was washing, cutting and sewing these fabric was that it was making me quite happy – nothing new for quilters, that’s our passion. But it was more than just happy as usual, I felt good about it. Perhaps because I was having a difficult time, I was feeling down. Working on this quilt helped me to liven up.

I remember I read once about the meaning of colors, but did not pay much attention to it. After this experience I got curious and looked for an answer. These are some of the explanations I found:

 

Orange is a power color. It is one of the healing colors.(…) It also stimulates enthusiasm and creativity. Orange means vitality with endurance.

 

¨ Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and tropics.

¨ Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation.

¨ Orange increases oxygen supply to the brain, produces an invigorating effect, and stimulates mental activity. It is highly accepted among young people.

¨ Orange is the color of fall and harvest.

 

How about that?

I was amazed how true that was – in my case, anyway.

How do you feel about colors? Are they an issue for you?

Time to tame the “beast”!

A good advice I was given was to put an ironing board at the same level as the table so that you get more even space.

2011_1031blog-photos0055

 

2011_1031blog-photos0059

It was done when the leaves started to fall.

I just love it.

2011_1102blog-photos0001

 

Now…

Changing to another color…

A little “Granny Smith” for a dear friend:

2011_1017blog-photos0063

Until next time!

Have a lovely and creative day!

signature Suzie

15 comments:

nicolette at dutchcomfort said...

Love your orange earthy Kaffe quilt!!

I always had a strong preference for orange, but I have learned to love other colours as well. It’s all depending on my mood. Sometimes I love the more subtle ones and sometimes I need colour to brighten my days. Since I’m working on the Lollypop quilt with the KF fabrics I now know these fabrics can really make you happy!

Joan said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I love the autumn colors!

Stephanie said...

A totally gorgeous quilt is an equally gorgeous setting. There are some colors I don't get jazzed about working with but others are definitely uplifting and happy. Orange and brown are so warm and cozy. Delicious Granny Smith. :o)

Margaret said...

looks just like fall!

Margaret
msolomo1@maine.rr.com
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

LJ said...

I love orange and I love your quilt!
I'm tickled we have the same machine! :)

Chookyblue...... said...

love your quilt although I would never have picked Orange.......interesting what you had to say about the colour orange.....
Cute apple...

Ulla said...

The quilt is beautiful and looks so warm! Maybe you should eat some carrots, oranges and tangerines to get the most of the orange colour?

Houseelf said...

So so beautiful. I think the Kaffe Fassett "Paperweight" ones are an all time fav of mine. It looks like the same colour as the ornamental cherry tree leaves went this year. Beautiful work Suzie.Perfect for the season. I am keeping a candle lit when I'm in the living room now for a cosy warm feel (Ikea vanilla ones).

Karen said...

Absolutely beautiful. How did you get so many fabrics in the same color range??

Annette said...

Oh wow! I really love this quilt. So beatufiful and perfect for this time of year...which also happens to be my favorite season.

Simone de Klerk said...

Explaining orange, makes the quilt even more special, Suzie!!! It is beautiful. It will give you lots of strength and warmth. Definitely the quilt for you, I think!
And what a cute apple!

Susan said...

This is a beautiful quilt. Perfect for fall. And, yes, orange is a great color.

stitchinpenny said...

Beautiful quilt. I just bought some orange and turquoise to make a little boy quilt and am so happy to read your little dissertation on the benefits of orange.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Just found your blog and think it is wonderful! Can't wait to have a good look around, but in the meantime I'll congratulate you on a gorgeous quilt! Just love the orange...it really says "Autumn"

Linda said...

Breathtaking!!! Love the quilting!