Let the sun shine in!
I had to ask DS2 and one of his friends to hold the quilt outside so that I could take a picture of the batik quilt. Bright, cheerful colors to brighten up the days:
This pattern (from Brenda Henning) was supposed to be made with one jelly roll of 40 strips. I used the batiks I had been collecting for a while and that was fine, too. Using what I had from my stash I could make one more row, it measures 62” x 78” (1,58 cm x 1,99 cm).
Working with bold colors is like a therapy, they cheer you up, they give you impulse and stimulate your senses to work in different directions. With some scraps from the quilt, some other scraps and some FQs I started to make “Liberated” sort of Log Cabin blocks, a bit wonky, a bit skew, it was fun. The result was a small wall hanging.
I did the quilting by machine.
Here and there, coming back and going the other way around, having fun again:
Ta da! There it is:
It measures 22 1/2” x 24” (57,5 cm x 61,5 cm).
One thing I’m not very found of is sewing sleeves on wall hangings.
I’ve found a new way and I would like to show it. Maybe it is what you already have been doing, but it might also help others, who knows!
When the top is quilted and trimmed, cut 2 squares ( in my case for the wall hanging, I cut the squares 6” x 6”) and fold it in half:
Place the folded squares at the corners and pin it in place:
Sew the binding on the right side of the wall hanging the way you usually do. The folded square will be sewn together and you’ll have a “pocket”. I placed a small ruler so that you can see it better:
Now sew the binding by hand :
Ohh,I see! It is hard to see it clearly, so here’s another picture with a piece of paper:
That’s how it looks like on the back.
Now you can hang it on the wall!
Wishing you a lovely, sunny weekend!