National Quilting Day (and a tutorial)

Since 1991 , on the third Saturday in March,  quilters in the USA celebrate a National Quilting Day. But don’t you think that quilters all around the world could celebrate it, too? It is our day girls!  Quilting is such a wonderful hobby, it ought to be remembered and celebrated!

 Here and here you can find some more information and where I got a quotation: “If you are a quiltmaker, spend a minute to recognize and appreciate that you have truly been blessed with a special skill.” Isn’t that true?

I am going by train with a friend to visit a Fabric Market and we hope to have a nice time looking, touching and buying some fabric! What about you? I hope you will have a wonderful day, no matter what you do!  “Wear” snippets on your clothes, that shows you work with fabric! And don’t sweep the floor, when you are being creative you just don’t have time to be neat!!! Just find your way to your day to say “I am a quilter and that makes me sew happy!”.

I wrote about new blocks I was (still am!) working on . I love stars and the Lemoyne Star is a very special one that was on my list for years. The problem was that I really did not  like set-in-seams….I did not! But now it is not a problem anymore! I found a different way in a book and it DID really work out well for me. No markings (what I don’t like at all) and  it fits!  These are some of the blocks :

2009_0319blog-photos0071

I’m so glad they are turning out right that I thought I could share this method with you. I’ll do my best to explain the steps!

My blocks are 6” X 6” (finished size) :

2009_0319blog-photos0001

Please check for accuracy in cutting, sewing (1/4” seam allowance) and pressing without steam. I know you’ve heard and read this a thousand times before, but that sure makes  the pieces fit together nicely. And you will be really glad with the results!

You need two different colors for the diamonds and a background.

For the diamonds you need 1 3/4” stripes cut on lengthwise grain (that is very important!). Cut 4 diamonds from each fabric.

From the background cut 4 squares 2 1/4” and one square  3 3/4” and cut this one 2 times diagonally so you will have 4  half- square triangles.

It is quite helpful to use an open-toed foot so you can see the previous stitching line when it is time to lock the stitches. I used a non-matching thread to make it easier to see these steps.

That is how you start:

Put the half-square triangle on top of the diamond:

2009_0319blog-photos0002

 

 

Carefully match the points!

 

 

 

 

 

Now sew from end to end:

2009_0319blog-photos0003

It should look like this:

2009_0319blog-photos0005

Finger-press or press with the iron (NO steam!!!):

2009_0319blog-photos0006

Place another diamond (different color) on the right on top like this:

2009_0319blog-photos0023

Then flip the piece over so you have the half-square triangle like this:

2009_0319blog-photos0024

You will begin sewing at the outer point and stop sewing at the previous stitching line. Then you should lock the stitches at this point.  I stitch about 2 or 3 stitches back :

2009_0319blog-photos0010

 

2009_0319blog-photos0012

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2009_0319blog-photos0037

 

 

At this point I pull out 2 to 3 stitches with a needle. That makes the next step easier.

 

 

 

 

Bring the two edges together, matching the diamonds  and folding the half-square triangle:

2009_0319blog-photos0026

Then sew from point to previous stitching line, locking stitches at the end of the seam:

2009_0319blog-photos0027

Press from the right side:

2009_0319blog-photos0021

From the left side:

2009_0319blog-photos0022

You should have 4 units like the above ones.

Now you should attach a square to the right diamond:

2009_0319blog-photos0042

 

 

Sew from end to end.

Do the same to all 4 units. Press.

 

 

 

Sew two units by two units. Bring them together like that so that you can see in which position they have to be sewn:

2009_0319blog-photos0044

Place one unit on the right on top of the unit on the left:

2009_0319blog-photos0045

Now sew with the square on top from outer edge to previous stitching and lock the stitches:

2009_0319blog-photos0046

2009_0319blog-photos0047

2009_0319blog-photos0048

 

Again, pull out 2 stitches or so.

 

 

 

 

Put the two pieces right sides together, matching up the diamonds and the alternating seam allowances. If you really pressed all seam allowances toward the diamonds on the right, now they will fit just right:

 

2009_0319blog-photos0049

Sew from stitching to stitching, locking the stitches at the end:

2009_0319blog-photos0050

 2009_0319blog-photos0052

Here are the two pairs:

2009_0319blog-photos0054

Sew two halves together, first  one square to a diamond :

2009_0319blog-photos0055

 

Sew from top to the previous stitching, locking at the end.

 

 

 

 

2009_0319blog-photos0057

2009_0319blog-photos0058

Pull out 2-3 stitches. Do the same to the other square.

Now you have come to the last final seam that will close up the center of the star. You have to sew from end to end, locking at both ends:

2009_0319blog-photos0059 2009_0319blog-photos0060

The star is now finished!

2009_0319blog-photos0061

This method is the best one I’ve tried and it really worked out for me. I practiced a couple of times and the results made me comfortable enough to finally start a Lemoyne Star Quilt. I hope I was able to  show you in an understandable way and that it may also work out for you! Please let me know if you found this helpful or if you have more hints, that would be great!

That was a little contribution to the National Quilting Day! Which I hope will turn to an International Quilting Day!

I wish you a lovely weekend!

lovetosew

signature Suzie

Comments

Melanie said…
Happy (inter)National Quilting Day Suzie. Thanks for the tutorial.

The block reminds me of wooden shapes children can play with to make tile patterns. So beautiful- your seams are flawless. Happy sewing my friend/
Eileen said…
Suzie.. this is a great tutorial, and you did a fabulous job! Every picture is clear and the instructions are so good. The stars look perfect. But STILL.. a lot of work! :-D

I like the colors you are suing for your blocks.. that is going to be a wonderful quilt.. can't wait to see.
nicolette said…
Happy International Quilting Day!
You’re right! To celebrate I will make a trip to one of favourite quiltshops in Holland!

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I will be back to read it again more thoroughly!
Hi Suzie,
Thank you so much for the unbelievable tutorial. It is just great...the pictures and explanations. Thanks for all the work you put into it.
Happy quilting Day,
~Karen~
Cindy said…
Suzie, the stars have such neat, precise points-perfect.

Thanks for your great tutorial.

Have a fun day at Fabric Market. What a great place to be on National Quilting Day.
Ulla said…
Great tutorial, it makes me believe it IS possible to make those sharp points! Thank you for telling about the (inter)national Quilting Day, I just happened to sew 5 blocks today.
Karen said…
Suzie,
The lemoyne star has always been one of my favorite.Your tutorial was well explained. Great Job. The few blocks that I have done were hand pieced. It was the only way I knew of to perfectly match all points. Your blocks look as if the points are well matched. I might have to try this! Happy Quilt Day!
Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am busy trying to get a few projects worked on today..... while I have time.

Hugs,

Nancy
Annemariesquilt said…
Thanks for sharing Suzie, though it looks a bit difficult to me....
Yes we will like to hav an international quilting day!!!
Guðrún said…
I didn´t know about this quilting day! Thank you for the tutorial.
Love those little stars! Great step by step tutorial - I will have to give them a try.
Carrie P. said…
Thanks so much for the tutorial. I love that star but always hesitated making it. Now I just might give it a try.
Handmade by Mai said…
Thank you very much for clear tutorial
Julie said…
Those stars are looking great. THanks for the tutorial, it is very detailed.
Anne-Mette said…
Hi Suzie.
I will have to give it a try. So far I have only once pieced a Lemonyne Star on the machine. But after seeing your instructions, it looks so clear and easy. I have to try.
Thank you for sharing with us.
Hugs
Anne-Mette
love the blocks and thanks for the tutorial........I will give it a go..........
Anne Ida said…
Oh, LOVE your Lemoyne stars! It is one of my absolute favorite blocks! You have given a wonderful tutorial to how to stitch these beauties - and hopefully a few of those scared of in-set seams might give it a try :o)

Popular Posts