Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Birthdays, gifts and cake

 

Do you know this rhyme?

Monday’s child is fair of face.

Tuesday’s child is full of woe.

Wednesday’s child is full of grace.

Thursday’s child has far to go.

Friday’s child is loving and giving.

Saturday’s child works hard for a living,

But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day

Is bonny and blithe and good and gay.

As far as I can remember, my mom told me I was born on a rainy Thursday…If I knew it before I would have waited until Sunday!!!

I just found out that another lovely blogger friend also celebrate her birthday in March, that is nice! I hope she will have a wonderful day!

These are the gifts I made for Elisabeth (no blogger), a dear friend that always send me beautiful cards and lovely emails messages. Her favorite color is green and when I saw this pretty fabric with trees and birds and the other one with words and leaves,  I knew they were the right ones for her.

 2009_0319blog-photos0068 

 

As I was a bit in a hurry…. I wrapped a book cover for another friend and I forgot to take a picture….I probably will sew another one and perhaps I’ll keep it for myself!

There are still other gifts I want to finish (not to mention BOMs and OPAM…..)  Somehow this month was too short to get all things crossed off from my list!…But there are still some days left,  no need to worry!

I would like to introduce you to a new blogger. I should have made this  before (I’m sorry Karen!…), but better late than never! She is a  very sweet person and she belongs to an active Group of Quilters. Please visit her blogg and take a look at her sewing room, it is a pretty one!

 

2009_0303blog-photos0001

I baked this cake last week and it tasted very good!

2009_0303blog-photos0002

To save some calories the butter was substituted by yoghurt. I must say I was not so sure when I read the recipe.… a cake without butter? But I love to bake and I just had to try it.

2009_0303blog-photos0004

 

Half of it was gone in less than an hour!

Now I know it is a good recipe!

 

 

 

 

Yoghurt-apple cake

1 Kg tart apples (about 4-5 medium apples)

1/2 teaspoon lemon zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice

4 eggs

175 g sugar (about 3/4 cup)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

pinch of salt

75 g plain yoghurt (about 1/3 cup)

250 g all purpose flour (about 1 cup)

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 tablespoons Apricot jam

powdered sugar

Grease and flour a round baking pan (26 cm ) and pre-heat the oven 175° C (about 350 F) .

Peel and slice the apples (or cut-up like I did), sprinkle with 2 tablespoons lemon juice.

In a large mixing bowl beat on medium speed the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and a pinch of salt for about 8 minutes until creamy and fluffy. Mix in yoghurt. Mix flour and baking powder and sift to the mixture. Pour into pan. Add apples pressing them gently to get under the dough. Bake for about 50 minutes. Heat the jam and spread it over the hot cake. Cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. 

160 kcal 1 piece

Make a nice cup of tea or coffee and enjoy!

Until next time

signature Suzie

bakedwithlovepie

20 comments:

Eileen said...

Oh yes.. my mother always said that poem to me. But I remembered it Tuesday was grace and Wednesday was woe. Thursday.. far to go! I feel that way all the time.. I must have been born on thursday too!
Beautiful and yummy looking cake! I would love a slice please.
And that bird fabric is terific! You ahve really been busy. :-)

nicolette said...

What a wonderful rhyme! And Happy Birthday... whenever it may be... or did I miss something?

Love your green gifts. The fabric of the pouch is awesome! I love yoghurt, in cakes, in ice, plain! I need to try this recipe one day, though I never bake anything...LOL!

Happy days!

PattiD said...

Could you tell me where you got your Matryoshka Doll pattern from? I would like to make a few as gifts. Thanks. Patti D.

pdmytras@yahoo.com

Patchwork Penguin said...

OH I love the bag and the cake looks yummy. Will have to print off the recipe.

Hugs,
Nancy

Simone de Klerk said...

Your gifts look great, Suzie. You have a wonderful way with colors. So nice and bright. It makes you feel good just looking at them.
I think I must really bake that cake! Looks too yummie to resist.

Ulla said...

Happy Birthday, Suzie! I knew that poem from our old Tall Book of Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes, but can't remember how accurate the translation was.
Lovely gifts in green!

Stina said...

Never heard that poem before...and I say the same as Nicolette..Happy Birthday or what!!! :o)
The cake do need to be tested...thats for sure...loved your gifts for your friend..:o)

Annemariesquilt said...

You have made an awesome gift for your friend, the fabric is so special.
Thanks for sharing the recipy, it looks yummi. Happy birthday Suzie :-))

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Your cake looks awesome! I will baking that on the weekend for sure :)

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday today Suzie my dear friend. I hope you have a wonderful day!

I am a Thursday child too. :-) I never knew quite what it meant. Was I to travel or would I always not quite reach my mark? I decided it would mean I would try hard. :-)

What lovely present you made for your friend in her fav colour. :-)

What a gorgeous looking cake from an unusual recipe. :-)

Have a wonderful day. :-)

Sandi said...

Hi Suzie,
Your gifts for Elisabeth are so lovely, she is a very lucky girl :)
Your cake looks so yummy, I too will have to try out that recipe. I can use my lovely duck's eggs for this one. And it is the start of the apple season here. I have another recipe for a French grandmother's apple cake, but it uses loads of butter. So your recipe will be healthier :)

Karen said...

Happy Happy Birthday to you Suzie! I wish you all the best!
I recognize the rhyme as one my Grandmother used to recite to me as a child. It brings warm memories!
I love the gifts you made for your friends! They should feel honored to have handmade gifts made with love just especially for them! I really like the idea that you added beads to the zipper pull. How cute! A pincushion of course and a bird ornament. Just right for Spring! Anyone would be happy to recieve such special gifts!
I have never heard of a cake made with yogurt before, but I will try this one! It looks really good!
Thank-you, for introducing me to all your blogging friends! You are too kind! :o) (o:
Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
Karen

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Suzie. I'll be making that yummy cake. Thanks so much for the recipe. What beautiful green projects. My very favorite color!

Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Suzie,
Happy Birthday! Love all the gifts you made for your friend. Thanks so much for the recipe for the cake. It looks delicious. Thanks for the link to Karen's blog too!
~Karen~

Zlaty said...

I just found your blog and I love it! I love the green bag since green is my favourite colour too! :))
I have my aunt Angelina recipe for apple cake. I am from Bulgaria and my aunt lives there too! your cake looks tasty too!

Happy sewing!

Zlaty

Cindy said...

What fun fabric made into fun gifts, Suzie. Elisabeth will be so grateful when she receives such nice things.

Cut me a BIG piece...LOL

Carrie P. said...

I do remember that poem. Happy belated birthday. That cake sure does look yummy!

Handmade by Mai said...

Happy birthday to you Suzie. You made wonderfull gifts for your friend. Doesn't it feel nice when you make something and make somebody else happy.

Caley said...

mmm yum! I'll be making that! I love baking with yogurt and applesauce instead of fat.

disa said...

A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,視訊美女,視訊做愛,正妹牆,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風